Monday, October 28, 2013

MASSING DEVELOPMENT

From were I left you, I chose a parti model to start developing my massing. I started playing with the shapes to different locations en rotations, but it my parti wasn't being translated into it.

So I move to digital modeling in the site and I came up with this. Being the the tall box a central point surrounded by glass and open the the eye sight without any walls in between to allow more light and spaced, and appreciate the view that its offered. However, as prof. Jill said "too rigid".

So I started developing the massing even more playing with it and rotating the corridor box.

As I kept playing with it I started to change the shape of from boxes, as I like to call them.

However, for my personal opinion, the previous massing was too messy so I went back and made a slight change in the top box and middle one.

As I have being developing this massing to keep it clear, clean and beautiful, I've decided to keep it simple but interesting. Furthermore, I think that the one that might work the best would be option "A" since it has a contrast between the rigid of the boxes and the curvy of the clear corridor box. And as I keep working everything is open to be modified as much as it needs to be so it can work perfectly. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Yerina!

    1) Well done for documenting and showing your process and some of the alternatives you looked at. This is really great and if anything, it helps others to understand better how you work. Saving selected images, photos or sketches that are part of the process is also good for you and your portfolio.
    2) I believe that you are searching for an elegant and yet elaborate design solution with clean lines. I like this very much and in my opinion these qualities are already being suggested in your parti model.
    3) The images you posted above are saying that you have been looking at alternatives by rotating and transforming specific volumes in your digital mass model. You can also consider other ways such as adding and subtracting to the existing volumes, or perhaps introducing other volumes at a different hierarchical level that will compliment / strengthen the overall composition.
    4) At some point you will need to start considering the additional parameters and factors (e.g building program) that will affect your design, and how these will roughly work with the volumes that you are already looking at. I suggest that you don't let these parameters limit you in any way or "dictate" to you what you do at this stage but do not ignore them entirely because it may make your work a bit harder down the road (good design is more than a nice shell anyway). As always, this is food for thought - see what makes your work more enjoyable and what yields the best results.
    5) In case you have not done this yet, try looking at your volumes in perspective view and from the ground level. Axonometric and bird eye views from above are extremely useful because they give a very good idea of everything at a glance but this is not how people experience buildings.
    6) Whatever you do, make sure that you enjoy the process and that in the end you are satisfied with the result. In other words make sure that you end up with something that you really like and that you know why.
    7) An image showing your mass model in context (i.e. any surrounding building volumes, the adjacent waterfront and main roads) would help in clarifying things further for us.
    8) Question: do the different colors in the model suggest different zones or functions?

    Best wishes,
    Phanos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding comment no. 7 above, I have just noticed that you already posted 3 small pictures of a rough cardboard site model that gives us an initial idea of your building in its context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yerani

    What are the consequences of these models in plan and section? I would suggest that you are more rigorous in your design, What are your priorities?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great studies Yerina, Your initial concept had a lot of negative space. Do not forget that as you proceed.
    But I have a question. How do you determine the angles and the shifting of the plates. Does the site itself give you a reason? Can you elaborate on your reasoning besides the aesthetic one.

    ReplyDelete